Saturday, 29 December 2007

London calling

Ok, I am now in London and not crying (but still looking tired and puffy - could this just be age creeping up??). *Sigh*


This is a relatively good day, then. After many phone calls and emails across the globe overnight (mostly done by Conrad this time - a role swap!), it looks like we can officially go through China after all, without visas. We will transit only (max 48 hours at a time), which means we will miss meeting up with Andreas, who has scheduled himself specially to fly in and meet us. But at least we can complete our trip (which cannot be re-routed on the fare we have).

What a mission. And what a disappointment to have such an appalling experience with the various Chinese embassies. I have letters to write, but will not send them until we have safely transited through the lovely People's Republic...very good advice from my dad -you just never know who's watching.

It is so cute to see my wee niece Honor all walking and, it seems like, almost talking. She was only 9 months old in August when we last saw her in LA, and has grown so much. She is a delight. I will take some pics and add later. Right now I am off to have lunch with my old friend from Otago/Carrington days, Catherine McCloy. I last saw her back in 97 for dinner as I was leaving London after a 2 week nannying stint in Phuket. A flying visit! It will be excellent to catch up : )

Tate Modern tomorrow, I think.

BTW - those post christmas sale shoppers on Oxford St are brutal! Like the Kirks sale crowd on P. Fierce.

No comments: