Sunday, 22 February 2009

How to grow a rooster...

Well hello there. Anyone who has seen or spoken to me in the last year knows that I have become a bit of a poultry fancier. I don't belong to a CLUB or anything (yet ha ha ha), but I adore my little mottled flock. A year ago we got 4 gorgeous bantams from a woman in Te Horo who has many many many (we're talking 200 here). Since then we've hatched a few little cute chicks from fertilised eggs and 10 days ago a pekin duck. Hmm, maybe time to stop for a while. But anyway, it makes me very happy to have these funny, industrious, productive, protective creatures co-existing with us. Not to mention the eggs!

But I digress. Below are some tips on how to grow a rooster. Zelda the Wonder Chicken/Rooster left us today to go and live on a lovely farm in Feilding, with some nice big chickens to boss around. We live in the 'burbs, see and crowing is not to be done at ungodly hours of the morning. Here's my tribute to our first hatchling. S/he has been a most excellent little backyard guard-chicken/cockerel person.

(Everything else is just fine btw, still coffee-ing, contracting in town a little and raising the wonderfulest little non-feathered people ever, who are growing like mushrooms!).

Ok, now for the tips:

Have your rooster hatch under the funniest, cluckiest, broody bantams: Malc and Bernard:


Give her plenty of stimulating pastimes and people to play with...


...plenty of rest...

...cuddles...And s/hes perfect!

No comments: